Question: What should I do after my injury?
Moments after an injury, you may feel confused, overwhelmed, and in disarray. The first thing you should do after an injury is to make sure that you and others are in a safe area. Once everyone at the accident site has received sufficient medical attention for his or her injuries, you should begin looking ahead for the possibility of a personal injury accident if you feel that your injury was caused due to the fault of someone else.
You should first document any information relating to the fault and the accident itself. Personal injury lawyers must prove the fault, negligence, or liability. In order to do this, you should take the following steps after an accident:
- Write down contact information of parties involved
- Write down contact information of potential witnesses
- Obtain a copy of any police reports, adjuster reports, damage reports, and other data that relates to the accident.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident, any property damage that resulted from the accident, cars involved, and any other relevant objects that would help prove your claim.
After the fault and liability are documented, the next step is determining how much the damages would cost. This should be done by a thorough documentation of:
- Medical records that document diagnoses and treatment plans
- Medical bills
- Present and future lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage reports
Having a skilled and experienced legal counsel will facilitate the process of obtaining just compensation for a claim. A personal injury attorney will make sure to contact all the relevant parties, schedule meetings, depositions, represent you during litigation and mediation, thoroughly determine how much compensation you deserve, and much more. Contact us today for a free consultation!